It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

How can we make coop or die better+more public? =) 
Champion in solo and duo and quartet

Post How can we make coop or die better+more public? =)
I've signed up on coop or die a year or two ago,(forgot the id) I noticed that there were more changes being done, which I thought was awesome. So, I wanted to do something to help the coop or die community.

Some ideas that I have for making coop or die more popular:
~ Make coop or die better - I realize that it takes time to do that though
~ Make gameplay videos of coop or die and then post them on youtube, or some game site.
~ Make the site more "newb friendly" - Some people don't have much patience when trying to get something new to work, Took a while for me to get coop or die working. Also, a friend of mine couldn't figure out how to do anything by just looking at the guides, so I had to help him. If people can't figure out how to use the mod with ease, they probably will not even give it a try.

Some ideas that I have for making coop or die better: (just suggestions)
~ Improve the ability to communicate with other players - No communication means little, to no co-operation.
1. Allow players in game to be able to talk to the people using the world server chat on the site. - This will help players guide each other to start playing coopordie, or just to find each other's servers. If this is already in there, I don't know how to do it. I'm not talking about alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete so you can switch to the site.
2. Let there be an option to use microphones when playing quake 2. - There's no way you can tell each other what to do in fast-paced game like quake 2 because no one can type that fast. So, microphones should be able to make that happen.
~ In regular mode, when you die, you stay dead untill another map is loaded and/or a certain amount of monsters are killed. - Single players can still press "o". The main reason for this feature, is just because you die, the whole game does not have to stop just because you died. This makes the game flow more smoothly, and not have to keep re-loading the same maps. Also, less likely for people to hate the person that died since they wont have time to complain/rant about that person's skills. Originally i was going to say that there should be a respawn time, but then I thought of halo, where one person just keeps respawning, so no one worries about that person's death. So, instead of that, the other players you are playing with have to kill a certain amount of monsters (imo 5 is good), or reload/load a map. When the person respawns, the will only have a blaster, just like the way it is now.
~ Maybe include a mini-map - Not really needed, but it still helps when finding your friends

I plan on making some coop or die videos and post them on youtube when I get enough people to record a good video with. So I'll try getting people's attentions by doing that. I may try to make a campaign or two someday, but I'm not sure where to begin to start making campaigns.

These are just suggestions I've made, feel to add suggestions you'd like to happen.

I'm curious as to what you all think about making coop or die popular. =)

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Post Re: How can we make coop or die better+more public? =)
thanks keeshu ;)
yeah i was trying to play wth him but it wouldn't let me see his server
it was in adress book and i hit refresh several times but nothing :x i have yet to join someone elses server(or even see theirs) or someone join mine

edit:ok i used hamachi and played with him, good fun!

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm
Champion in quartet

I have to agreee with you in most of things... but.. why not, create an item, disponible into somewheres of the map, that revives you... Only getting back, or your blaster, or the weapon you were using...

About the Microphone use: You got TeamSpeak, you got Skype, and that kind of software, there is no really reason for incluiding them into the Quake, but, it would be great to see it.

The worldchat... mmm... i don't think it can be done.. however, i'm not an expert, so, maybe it can be done: If single-directional comunication works, why not bi-directional?

I give you a 10/10 for your creativity.

xRDVx wrote: "Humans can dream... and so do I."
mik1 wrote: "i like boys"

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 pm

What really turns me off Quake 2 coop or die is the gameplay. Before I knew how to get good coop working with Quake 2, I dreamed of having teammates playing with me. But now it is just a liability with most new players. If THEY die, you do as well! Many games do this (Gears of War for example) but when they do this, they have a revive system, so you get a second chance.

With 4 players running around, usually split up due to lack of weapons/supplies and because you run at 100 miles an hour, it's very easy to lose one player on Nightmare mode. Especially because I can find rocket chicks on the first level! Don't get me wrong, I like coop or die, but I guess it's the player base that I don't like. Sometimes you get more serious people, but newbies run off, die and get discouraged. I think the ability to swap weapons and items freely as well as the removal of weapon stay would help a lot in making people work together more.

As for publicity, I'm hoping to release my map pack on several mapping and modding sites, hopefully they'll get interested in my videos, which will hopefully contain in-game coop footage and I'll include links to coopordie.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:12 am