It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

A patch for Pat 
Champion in solo and duo and trio and quartet

Post A patch for Pat
Well.. here it is. Small and late, but hey! It's a patch! :lol:

I actually kept delaying it, thinking that I could improve it later, but I ended up delaying it endlessly, as I kept forgetting about it :roll: .

Here's a link to the files: http://www.2shared.com/file/B2brIZZ3/cood_patch_-_files.html

And, here's a list of the things done/covered within the patch:

==> The HUD almost always stays open. Basically, you will keep seeing it on your screen. Furthermore, you cannot remove it :lol:. The only problem comes when you want to see the (utterly useless) 'help screen'; although it causes the HUD to disappear, it reappears after closing the 'help screen'

==> The HUD refreshes more frequently. Well, having a HUD that refreshes once at ~4 seconds is kinda useless, so it now refreshes a lot quicker.

==> When someoned dies, each person's inventory resets properly now. This small bug was pretty annoying, especially when you were playing with other people

==> Additionally, there's an executable which requests your name and password. Well, many people had trouble trying to set up coopordie; some even didn't even get to play the game because of it! Because of this, I also made a name/pass requester, which is basically an .exe, which opens a small dialog window, where you can enter your name, password and the game executable (in case you wish to use another engine).

Also, the program adds up a new parameter: +set net_compatibility 1. I've noticed this is important in case you use a modern engine (for me, it was EGL), as you need it in order to host a server or connect to another players.

For Pat: I also included the name requester's source code so that you can check it (and recompile), in the case you suspect me of making a keylogger :lol: .

Join Coopordie's Discord Server.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: A patch for Pat
Oh, by the way, now I reminded the reason (one of them) I didn't post out the mod: I kept forgetting to fix the annoying message that appears when you don't have some person's skin.

If i remember well, that message is being spammed like this.

SKIN/MALE/RAMBO not found

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am
Profile YIM

ANDREI wrote:
Oh, by the way, now I reminded the reason (one of them) I didn't post out the mod: I kept forgetting to fix the annoying message that appears when you don't have some person's skin.

If i remember well, that message is being spammed like this.

I was about to mention ability to close the hud in case of that again.
Maybe you could force the default avatar for a missing one like how the model does?

EDIT: oh and good job getting "community patch" out. working item reset would be a nice feat to have.
Id still like to hear if there was a reason why the hud refreshes so slowly, incase a faster one causes a problem or something.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:03 am
Admin

Hi Andrei, your initiative is interesting but I really have no time and no motivation for this mod. I have no more the dev tools nor a Quake2 copy installed on my computer.

I propose to remove the worlserver version check who is preventing the use of custom DLL. A link to popular modified DLL may be added on the official download page.

Can it satisfy everyone?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

Well.. what the "worldserver ersion check" more exactly is?

...My best bet is that it checks up if the DLL's the original one or not, so that you can only use the coopordie's dll. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Also, wouldn't this create a kind of chaos? In example, if some random guy makes a random DLL, he could use it to play Coopordie. The problem is if he cheats (like modifying the monsters in his favor, or even many other things :roll: ).

If so, I could make a random 16-digit number which would be valid for the version checker. (I bet no one is going to hack coopordie; if he does it'd take him a lot of trouble searching through nearly 10 000 000 000 000 000 possible combinations just to be able to make a damned cracked DLL xD).

Also, being able to put up a "popular" coopordie DLL would be pretty nice. (If it gets popular enough, it could have a personal "version" which is good to go for the worldserver version checker, aka whitelisted).

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

ANDREI wrote:
My best bet is that it checks up if the DLL's the original one or not, so that you can only use the coopordie's dll.
Yes, that's right.

The verification is mostly in place to prevent players who use a wrong DLL (older coopordie versions).

I don't remember well, but I think it is easier for me to allow every DLL, like the actual beta tester group, than allowing a set of DLL.

ANDREI wrote:
Also, wouldn't this create a kind of chaos?
I doubt, not enough people, talented hackers and cheaters have better to do :D

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Yes, that's right.

The verification is mostly in place to prevent players who use a wrong DLL (older coopordie versions).

I don't remember well, but I think it is easier for me to allow every DLL, like the actual beta tester group, than allowing a set of DLL.

So, in that case, I suppose that there is a chance to stick some spirits of the patch in coopordie, or totally replacet the old DLL?
Since the improvements are impressive, I would not let this patch stay there unused (if I was Pat).

Quote:
I bet no one is going to hack coopordie

Hackers usually focus on very big communications. Once I was in one of them that got hacked by some "Al-Qaeda traitor". (However, that hack had nothing to do whit Al-Qaeda, because that community was from England.)

Also, if there won`t be any more improvement for quake2 CooD, then maybe you can at least edit the forums? It would be a nice feature if you add a sound for the chat bar (the sound that is sounding when someone typed something on chat bar. Still it would be very useful when someone started a server or proceeded to next level :D).

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am

Pat AfterMoon wrote:

Well, there could only be a few links in the download section then: a large one for the original version of coopordie and some smaller ones for the modified DLLs. Additionally, there could be a very tiny CLICK ME button that would take us to older versions of coopordie (just so that the players may not mistakenly download an older version without knowing)

metalgamer1997 wrote:
So, in that case, I suppose that there is a chance to stick some spirits of the patch in coopordie, or totally replacet the old DLL?

Are you talking about the arrows that point to each player's location (included in the HUD) and such stuff?

metalgamer1997 wrote:
It would be a nice feature if you add a sound for the chat bar (the sound that is sounding when someone typed something on chat bar. Still it would be very useful when someone started a server or proceeded to next level :D).

Well, I guess Pat already said he doesn't will to improve it :roll:.

Also, having sounds for everything you do (just like in Tunngle - when you type something, you hear a typewriter key being pressed; when you send a message, you hear a BEEP sound being played; when someone connects, you hear some strange sound that i forgot of) would mess up the chat.

Instead, we could just have one simple sound for when someone sends a message. Though, there might be required a limit of messages that can be sent within 1 second, as spamming the chat is possible, thus making a lot of noise (imagine the same sound being played nearly 15 times in a single second).

As in for my patch, I'll try working a bit more on it before a "stable" version (I already tried looking on for a place where the game says "COULD NOT FIND SKIN ---", but I failed; I guess I might abuse of the fact that the game automatically sets an unknown skin to male/grunt, so I might just compare if the skin is male/grunt so that I can force its icon ~Mik1's idea).

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile YIM

I got an idea for the skins, i use the male recon skin mostly because its my favourite from the defaults and ive had it in coop or die pretty much since i started, but there are some custom skins and models i like too that would currently spam the chat.

If theres going to be community update anytime maybe we could have popular skins with the download, or make a seperate file for a skins pack, maybe ones people suggest.

Or maybe as an alternative you can have a skin added with it if its accepted.

Is this offtopic yet?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Not really, we're discussing about 'bugfixes'

Well, that's a good idea. Having some included things sounds fine.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile YIM