It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

Which engine to use? 
Champion in duo

Post Which engine to use?
Hello, I like this mod. I am using yamagi quake because it is the best engine that I find. When I use it, console on site says:"[believer] has logged in using unreferenced engine." What does it mean? I want to know which engine is best for play with other players? What engines use other players and why?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am

Post Re: Which engine to use?
doesn't seem to be any engines that work so far. I was just using quake 2 pro and bunch of missing textures.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 pm

LazyOrc wrote:
doesn't seem to be any engines that work so far. I was just using quake 2 pro and bunch of missing textures.

My bad it wasn't quake2 pro. I get "Can't connect to world server" with quake 2 pro.

I actually loaded successfully with Knightmare's unofficial patch:
http://leray.proboards.com/thread/3258/ ... h-released

It isn't an "engine", but it gives you some widescreen support.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 am
Champion in solo

believer wrote:
Hello, I like this mod. I am using yamagi quake because it is the best engine that I find. When I use it, console on site says:"[believer] has logged in using unreferenced engine." What does it mean? I want to know which engine is best for play with other players? What engines use other players and why?

Going by the chat log, I've noticed most players use the classic/vanilla version of Quake II v3.20 when playing COOP OR DIE. I think Pat AfterMoon once said the last official vanilla release (3.21) of Quake 2 works best with it. Or at least it has the least amount of issues (if any) considering that final release still had a good amount of bugs.

I've used Yamagi for multiplayer and it works perfectly. I also ran through the entire game in challenge mode (alone) without any issues. In regards to bugs, it's worth mentioning that Yamagi has over 1000 bugs fixed, making it the most bug free Quake 2 port currently available. It also still has an active development in 2017.

The message about the unreferenced engine is simply stating that it does not know what engine/port the connecting user is using.

If you ask the general Q2 community what the best 'multiplayer port' is, they will usually say Q2PRO because it has a built in server browser, anticheat support and HTTP fast downloading etc. However, it does not support music playback (soundtrack).

If you ask about the best single player port, most people will say KMQuake2 because it has enhanced features to make the game look more modern + music support or Yamagi because it's very faithful to the original while giving you the option of having widescreen support + music.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo and trio and quartet

believer wrote:

As far as I know, Coopordie recognises some engines (ie: vanilla, R1Q2, EGL, ...). As for those engines not found in the list, they're referred to as "unreferenced engine".

There is an unofficial v3.24 patch that, among other improvements, allows us to play map pack 'Premonition of Angron', which can be downloaded from the main page. I have been mainly playing on Quake 2's classical engine, though it does crash from time to time with no apparent reason.

As for connectivity issues regarding various engines, try using command "+set net_compatibility 1" in the console. It allowed me to host games on EGL engine and connect to other people.

Join Coopordie's Discord Server.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile YIM