Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 pm It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

[ 5 posts ] 
 can't connect to any servers? 
Post can't connect to any servers?
A friend and I tried to organize a game earlier, both of us using kmquake .16. When I connect to him, I get as far as the name of the map displayed in the console, then q2 just hangs and does nothing...On his side, he gets kicked out of his player into a camera view, and then freezes. What the hell's going on here? Additionally, even when people are playing, I never see any servers in my server list...Can anyone help?

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:06 am
This MAY or MAY NOT be your case, but if you are using a network router:

Go to MS-DOS prompt and enter "ipconfig", look around for that number that starts with 192.168, copy it down on paper. Go login to COOP or DIE and use the console to enter "port", it should return somethign liek 27910, whatever the number is, write it down. Go to your router's set up page and look for the port range/forwarding page, your router setup can be accessed by entering 192.168.1.1 into Internet Explorer, atleast it works like this for me. Enter the port you want to forward (in this case 27910), and enter your computers network IP adress (the one you found in the MS-DOS window) into the other box... Checkmark that TCP & UDP crap if its there, I don't understand what that is, but I thinks its needed.

Oh man, its a very freagin complicated process, and I could never explain it correctly... I assure you, the reason people's servers aren't coming up is because they don't know how to configure their own networks. If everybody knew how to do this, then everybody would be able to access each other's servers. If you do this correctly, then people can access your server when you host a game.

REMEMBER that you can/should always enter an alternate port into the console when you want to host a game. I have my router forward 27915 instead of forwarding 27910 to me. So when I want others to join my COOP or DIE game, I enter "port 27915" into the console. When I don't want anybody to bother me, I just leave the port as 27910... I also make my port to be a different number because if my brother wants to play the game too, and he uses the default port, 27910, then he can't even play at all because all the data he his supposed to recieve is being given to me instead, while my computer just throws it away. Sometimes it doesn't even matter whether my port isn't forwarded, people still join my games. I don't even know how this crap works that way...

I figured this all out when I was trying DESPERATELY to host a Counter-Strike server and people SIMPLY could not connect.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:19 pm
If this was the problem, my friend's server wouldn't even allow me to connect in the first place, would i? I'll try to look up my router setup page, but I don't ever try to run servers for that precise reason..we'll see..

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:42 pm

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:12 pm

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:14 pm
 [ 5 posts ]