Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 am It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mapping for COOP or DIE 
Post Mapping for COOP or DIE
If mappers want to create new map for COOP od DIE (or adapt their own old production) they are welcome.

Just for your inspiration, take a look at this discussion in the forum
http://www.quakesrc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1266
It's related to the (near) futur difficulty system.
So, the players won't loose their teleporters, but they will loose their inventory after each death.
I plan to reduce drastically the presence of static weapon on the maps, and only let a probability of a drop from some monsters (depending their type) and let some item quest, like the super shotgun in the secret map of the first mission.

It could be fun to create new missions with mini scenario. It will be possible to add teleporter in the startmap or directly in existing map for accessing the news maps.

I can remove some specific (and powerful) items on all maps, and reserve them for missions. I think that with softcore mode the game will turn to an "item quest", like all inventory is loosen after each death.

About the monsters and items added online take a look to this page :
http://wiki.aftermoon.net/index.php?pagename=XmlRules
Look particulary the base1 file, it's the more simple, only some entity are added.

You can also read this thread :
http://www.quakesrc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300

I think that if you create a map with the XmlRules in mind, it can be very fun, with a lot of change at each play.
It could be also possible to add more monsters depending the numbers of players.

Mapping for COOP or DIE could be very fun, you will have a lot of feedback. I will (need work) give you an access to the player's log, you will know who play your map, when, what monsters they kill, where they died ...
And you will (need work) have the possibility to change the XmlRules online, and add or remove monsters, items ... without any new downloading for the players.

Sound fun no ?

Currently I personnaly create XmlRules files by adding entity to a map with Qeradiant, then loading the entity part of the *.map file in a text editor and copy/past and reformat it to the xml file. Xml syntax can be verified with internet explorer (xml content is displayed as a tree) but if you look it with notepad, you will see it is not so complicated (particulary the base1 file).

I plan to create a tool for generating XmlRules file.
Something that let you put your entity with your editor and simply add a field like the line above, then generate an xml file.
"xmlrules" "2players" // for an entity that is present only if there is 2 or more players
or
"xmlrules" "random_50%" // for an entity that has 50% of chance to be present

if you want to test it, save the xmlrules_map_base1.xml file in your coopordie directory, and use this command line :
Quake2.exe +set game coopordie +map base1 +set xmlrules xmlrules_map_base1.xml
You will localy apply the XmlRules file

Feel free to post here any questions related to this subject.

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:49 pm
cool a tool for generating xmlrule files would be pretty cool.
Hmm... maybe i will convert a map from my current project for coopordie.

Ghost

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:54 am
Post Mission Pack support?
First, Couldn´t inventory and progress be left aside when using Mission packs so mappers could use their creativity at most?

I was thinking of making a separate mission pack with three missions. Here´s what I was thinking so far.

First, there could be teleporters from startmap to other mission packs' teleporter areas. That´d be cool.
Then for the maps I´m planning to make some kind of sequel to the original quake II story, where you (And other players) play the role of one of the few squads left in Stroggos.
On the first mission, you have to defend a Guardpost in the middle of the Strogg Desert, all reddish and full of canyons, from hordes of Strogg coming in waves.
For the second map, This squad has already abandoned the Stronghold (Maybe because it´s been occupied with humans, or overrun by strogg) and has to find some emergency escape pod somewhere in the canyons. But the marines are not the only ones looking for it, the pod in which the Makron-Slaying hero crash landed.
As for the third map, I still don´t know what I could do, so I´m open for suggestions.

Anyway, as I said before this would require the weapons not to be saved in the worldserver, and death wouldn´t make you lose your teleporters either. Again, It´s up to Pat.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:14 pm
Post XML Rulez! Well, not yet...
I wrote an xml for mintro.bsp (Mine entrance). Then started Quake 2, game coopordie, xmlrules xmlrules_map_mintro.xml. But no change in the entity set. It´s a simple entity adding xml. Here´s the link...http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/rebellion/xmlrules_map_mintro.xml

Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:57 pm

hey pat mabye for the mappers u could implement misc_actor from lazarus allowing mappers to add unique enemies (or mabye a machron killing hero?) this would be ultimate..

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:17 pm
Post Re: XML Rulez! Well, not yet...
Crusard wrote:
I wrote an xml for mintro.bsp (Mine entrance). Then started Quake 2, game coopordie, xmlrules xmlrules_map_mintro.xml. But no change in the entity set.

Add a tag <xml> at the start of your file and </xml> at the end. Sorry for missing this detail, but the worldserver add it automatically.
I have tested your file ... and added it online ;)

Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:37 pm
Hehe, maybe I´ll remove some of the monsters. :lol:

Maybe I´ll do some xmls before starting my maps.

Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:55 pm
Maybe I´ll do some xmls before starting my maps.

A good idea could be to create XmlRules files for existing map. I want to add monsters depending the number of players.

You can simply create some XmlRules files with 4 players in mind, I will add myself a command for randomly add them depending players number.

If alone : 20% of chance to add the monster
If 2 players : 40% of chance to add the monster
If 2 players : 60% of chance to add the monster
If 4 players : 80% of chance to add the monster (not 100% for preserving changement)

If you want random substitution of monster type (basic soldier could become SS, or bersek ...) take attention to the volume of the monster, else it maybe stucked.

If you add spawnflag like trigger_spawn and targetname already used in the map, you can make additional monsters appear after special action, like the flyers in mintro when you take the power shield.

Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:12 pm
Post All maps are useful...
We could make good use of quake2 DM maps as secret maps with xml rules, one for each unit which doesn´t have an official one. I´ll work on that...

btw, I´ve done xml for mintro and mine1. I´ll xml the unit.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:35 am
Post Re: All maps are useful...
Crusard wrote:
We could make good use of quake2 DM maps as secret maps with xml rules, one for each unit which doesn´t have an official one. I´ll work on that...

Is it telepaty ? I would exactly suggest this ;-)

Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:19 am
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next