Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 12:58 pm It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

[ 7 posts ] 
 Just some more info 

Enemies or Puzzles?
Poll ended at Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:21 pm
Enemies! 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Puzzles! 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Equally both! 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 9
Post Just some more info
I'm getting along excellently with my episode! :D

There will be some enemies that will be there every time (for example one turret watching over an exploding bridge :twisted: ) but mostly I will make them controlled by the .xml file.

And I hope you like puzzles since that's what my episode will be based on. There wont be that many enemies as... well let's say mine1 has but I will add enemies to the places they are best but mostly you will need to solve some puzzles.

This episode currently WILL require 3 players and ONLY 3 players to play (not more, not less!). I might make it a 4-player episode but I'm not sure yet.

The .bsp that is up for download has changed alot and currently is a central map for the episode. :D

Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:21 pm
i vote for being able to play with 1 2 3 or 4 players!

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:41 pm
i vote for being able to play with 1 2 3 or 4 players!

Me too ! Maybe some way can need the presence of 2 players (like 2 distant button that need to be pushed at the same time) but don't add more limitation.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:03 pm
Yeah. Maybe you could make cool situations, similar to cutscenes. That will improve level interest. As for the enemies, put as many as you find ok. Always be careful because too much action could result in overflows.
You can make the level a little more flexible, depending on the number of players (Like, setting a trigger_once right next to a spawn point), but never make your levels playable for a solid number.

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:06 am

My episode started with me and my 2 friends. Originally there are/were 3 corridors with this idea (I'm Snake and my friends are Viper and Clown):

Viper clicks a button which turns off Clowns lasers. Snake opens Clown's door.

Later Clown clicks a button which drops Viper a ladder for a ventilation shaft.

That is where I am ATM. And I've constructed it so that all 3 of us get a key on the way to use in another level.

So, you see my problem with the solid amount of people? It cannot be flexible. 99,9 % of my puzzles wont be usable with less people than the original amount of players. And that 0,1 % is enemies so I guess I will take my co-op episode back to Quake 2 Evolved where I started it.

I will build it anyway. The solid amount of players just gives me more freedom with the puzzles.

Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:03 pm
Seems like it will be for three now.

That will definetly be a problem, mainly because of the lag.
Normally the players go together, but if every player has it´s separate zone of the map, the highest ping players might have trouble if the map´s too hard.

Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:03 pm
Well, I already told you that I pulled the project out of Coop Or Die!

I might suggest it to the Q2E community and I will put it up for download on my own site with a notice that it's mostly a LAN episode.

But I won't give up the 3 player amount. I am planning a 4-player version and might make a 2-player version also but I will keep it impossible to play alone since it's 100 % based on co-op.

The puzzles wont be that hard since everybody can help each other and there will be an armoury at the beginning where you will get many weapons and later you will get only ammo n' health.

Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:18 pm
 [ 7 posts ]