Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 pm It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

[ 9 posts ] 
 Setting up a Worldserver on LAN? 
Post Setting up a Worldserver on LAN?
Now I've downloaded the easyPHP and got it running and I also found the source files from Pat's site. But now I need some advice on getting it going. Here's some facts about my situation:

I will make all the maps for my server from scratch. I will run a Quake 2 Server but I will run all my own maps.
There are a couple of reasons for that:

1. I want to keep it as a LAN game.
2. My ISP doesn't allow me to run a server so it must be only on my LAN.

Here are some questions about it:

1. Is there a switch for making the maps undownloadable?
2. How the f*** do I get the server up and running?
3. Where do I unzip the files?
4. How do I change the max players of the server to 3?
5. How do I make a webpage to check the stuff everyone has?

There's some questions. I hope you will/can answer them. But, please, dont make your explonations too hard since I dont have any PHP or MySQL knowlidge. All the .xml knowlidge I have is what I've learned from those files I've made for my maps.

Only things I know something about are HTML and some things about Linux (I run the server on Windows). I've started Java lessons at school last week.

I hope someone here can help me with this.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:44 am
are you talking about a worldserver or a game server ?

Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:56 am
A server to keep the game and store the info of how everyone is doing.

So, I guess a game server then if that includes ALL the info I mensioned.

And like I said I've got the EasyPHP up and running.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:06 pm
Post Re: Setting up a Worldserver on LAN?
Znake wrote:
2. My ISP doesn't allow me to run a server so it must be only on my LAN.

Znake do you have a firewall? The easiest way around all of this is to use Pat's worldserver, if you can do it with your custom maps.

But, keep the firewall up so that no one 'out there' will connect to your local Q2 servers.

Your ISP won't care if you run Q2 as a server (which you do whenever you run Q2 anyway) as long as no one from the 'net connects to it i.e. no incoming server traffic.

Does that help any?

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:10 pm
I have F-Secure Personal Firewall and Virus Protection but the problem is that it's personal firewall so it protects only this one machine and if I cut the passage of others to the games this machine hosts then the other machines in this LAN are cut out, too. It sucks.

There are only a few presets I can use but some cut even the packages that should always go out or come in.

So the easiest way for me to play only on LAN with the Worldserver is to set it up on a machine inside my LAN and cut the net connection and play that way. That will also keep the ping times high.

And that is what I'm currently trying to know how to do.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:22 pm

When do you need to get this set up? If we have enough time, I can duplicate the setup myself so I can help you. It won't be hard to figure out, but it might take some time (reading, trying, tweaking, etc.)

Pat - I'd be happy to create documentation for WS installs based on this if you're interested, Win32 and maybe even Linux platforms.

-----------------------

Here are my lame attempts to answer your questions above:

1. Is there a switch for making the maps undownloadable?

Add "set allow_download 0" to your server.cfg file, which I think would be in your baseq2 dir.

2. How the f*** do I get the server up and running?

Need to create a mySQL database & import the tables; then change the host/db/user/password settings in the PHP scripts so they match your database. I've done a bunch of this and can help you pretty quickly on this part.

3. Where do I unzip the files?

The worldserver source should be unzipped (with directories) into the root of your web folder (on NT with IIS it's "wwwroot", might be different on Win9x).

4. How do I change the max players of the server to 3?

This is set in the worldserver DB these days

Man, that'd take a while to build. Maybe ask Pat if he'd share his web page sources...?

Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:07 pm

Man, that'd take a while to build. Maybe ask Pat if he'd share his web page sources...?

http://www.aftermoon.net/pub/20030209_coopordie.aftermoon.net.zip

It's not the last version, but it works.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:15 pm

you could add that to my worldserver coding faq on the aftermoon wiki page.

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:21 am
K, I'll try those as soon as I get my systems (s because I'm configuring 2/3 PC's for Linux and other school projects) up and running properly. Yes, they are all mine. I'm a PC freak/nerd/geek/what-ever-you-wanna-call-it but I enjoy being what I am. 8)

Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:40 pm
 [ 9 posts ]