Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 pm It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pat, about using Lazarus source under GPL 
Post Pat, about using Lazarus source under GPL
Hi, Pat. A while ago, you asked me about using the Lazarus source under the GPL.

I was wondering, did you use any of the code from g_newai.c (Rogue hint_path code), and if so, do you have any concerns with the Rogue code not being GPL? I've been very concerned about this :? and have put everything else off while I try to rewrite it. Have you been doing the same?

Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:00 am
Post Re: Pat, about using Lazarus source under GPL
Knightmare wrote:
Hi, Pat. A while ago, you asked me about using the Lazarus source under the GPL.

Yes, and I ask you again, currently I don't use any piece of code from the Lazarus project, but I would like (new entities and inproved AI).

Knightmare wrote:
I was wondering, did you use any of the code from g_newai.c (Rogue hint_path code)
no

Currently COOP or DIE use the standard Quake2 code, I have only added my WorldServer. A clear state about the Lazarus code and the GPL would help me a lot. Can your project be considered as a "GPL Lazarus alternative" ?
I read some of your messages in the Rust forum sometime, but what is currently the exact state of your project ? What Lazarus part have you implemented ? What have you added ?

Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:50 pm
My engine uses a modified Lazarus DLL (almost all of the second newest version) re-licensed under the GPL as the default DLL, with some code from the newest version added in (the new Lazarus version number is 2.115).

I had to remove the FMOD code for GPL compliance. David Hyde (Lazarus author) says it's OK with him to use it under the GPL.

It can be considered a Lazarus enhancement of sorts, not just a "GPL Lazarus alternative". Among the things I've added are:

----------------------------------------------------
CTF support, with cvars to control techs and flag dropping. Set the cvar "ctf" to 1 to enable.

Lithium weapon and item balancing cvars, including how much ammo you can pick up, and how much each box is worth (see the included default.cfg).

Entity alias script support- this enables mappers to create predefined entity aliases, allowing easy placement of pre-configured entities in maps, based on highly configurable generic entities like model_spawn and model train. These aliases are defined in a text file called scripts/entalias.dat. A sample alias file is included. NOTE: This file can be loaded from inside a pak file.

Func_breakaway, a new bmodel entity that will break away from its surroundings. See the included QERadiant entity defintion file for more information.

An salpha entity key, to set the transparency of entities. Give it a decimal value between 0 and 1 to use it. It supports 254 levels of transparency.

A commander skin spawnflag for misc_eastertank.

A Big spawnflag for target_explosion, which makes it spawn a larger explosion.

Single-player obituaries- tells you which monster killed you and how.

Blaster_color and hyperblaster_color cvars- these change the color of the bolts fired by the blaster and hyperblaster- 1 for standerd orange, 2 for green, 3 for blue, and 4 for red.

Cybernetic monsters now give off sparks in addition to blood when shot.

Includes CDawg's fix for player frames.
----------------------------------------------------

The improved AI code in Lazarus is largely taken from the Rogue mission pack, and I've had to re-write that to be safe under the GPL. The only thing left to re-write is 3 functions in g_newai.c, which are very large. So it's not yet street-legal. Maybe you could help me with this bit if you're interested?

Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:42 am
wow i am impressed so all of those features are on top of the lazarus features?

Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:39 am

Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:28 am

Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:45 pm
The improved AI code in Lazarus is largely taken from the Rogue mission pack, and I've had to re-write that to be safe under the GPL. The only thing left to re-write is 3 functions in g_newai.c, which are very large. So it's not yet street-legal. Maybe you could help me with this bit if you're interested?

I'm interested, but I'm really busy :(
If I understand correctly after the remove of fmod and the rewrite of g_newai your dll will be clean with the GPL ? Sound really cool :)
Maybe for be totally clear, it could be a good idea to publish a confirmation from David Hyde (Lazarus author), like I've done during summer 2002 with the Ace Bot relicenced under GPL
http://www.aftermoon.net/?page=20020730_acebot
If you have preserved your emails from him, just post them.

Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:55 pm
It fixes players from floating like ghosts when they go down stairs, and makes backwards animations when they walk backwards.

Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:55 pm
David Hyde himself told me in an email that I can't find anymore. You can ask him to confirm- his email is rascal"at"vicksburg.com.

There was also some other Rogue code sprinkled throughout other files in the source, which I either re-wrote or deleted if it was unused.

I just remembered the proprietary 3Dfx headers required by the Lazarus fog code (which seems to be a GPL no-no) - looks like I'll also have to strip out the glide support in the fog implementation.

Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:24 pm
What's the code for the fix? This seems to be something that should obviously be included in 3.22... lol go figure I thought I had the game dll's finalized months ago...

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:34 am
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next