Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

[ 1 post ] 
 to Port the WorldServer to Quake1 
Post to Port the WorldServer to Quake1
From Gleeb by email wrote:
How easy would it be to port this code to Q1, do you think ? I have ideas on how it could work, mostly with DLLs. Wouldn't even need a fiddle of client side code, I think. Just looking for an opinion :D

I have started my project with the QuakeWorld source. There is no real problem about Quake1, Quake2, QW ...
The wsrv directory is relatively modular. The only game related thing is the place where to implement call to function (when client connect, disconnect, change map ...).
XmlRules is another thing, but entities work with the same approach in Quake1 or 2. I don't really know what you will have to deal with the QuakeC, but for a Q1 coder it's probably not a problem ;)

The better usage of the worldserver code is for an online game, so normal Quake1 could be a problem, QuakeWorld seem to be most adequate.

I was very happy when the Quake2 source code was released under the GPL, because it solve my dual choice : tomazquake for eyecandy or Quakeforge for internet play :(
Now I have the 2 in one :D (it could be better again if Quake2max could run on lower machine).

Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:03 pm
 [ 1 post ]