Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 pm It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hot new development... 
Post Hot new development...
As a man with his 'ear to the ground' I've heard rumours that something hot and exicting is coming our way from your direction, Pat. Any comment?

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:27 am
Post Re: Hot new development...
Gleeb wrote:
I've heard rumours that something hot and exicting is coming our way from your direction, Pat

Where have you heard that ? ;)

Gleeb wrote:
Any comment?

Hum, I don't know about what you talk ...

Is it about the french Warsow team and their standalone QFusion based game. They will probably integrate a worldserver in their game, and I have recently created a beta version for them :
But a release of their game with a WorldServer is not planned for a near future.

Or maybe you talk about my recent work on Quake3 :
Working with the Q3 dll source code was a really good experience for me, but for my plans I need to tweak the engine code. So Q3 is not for me (until ID release it's code under the GPL ;))

Are you talking about my recent work with the Acebot ? I have integrated it code on the latest 3.20 dll version, (it was originally based on an old one).
Like I have previously see, the acebot source code is really well writen and commented. I have also played a little with the Quake2Max code, and I must admit I like how psychospaz write his code, and at the same time QFusion has really disapointed me :(

But maybe Gleeb, you are talking about my actual work on COOP or DIE ?
The management of separated dataset is actually on alpha test.
It will be possible to have separate "inventory/health/score/last map played" set for various mission/map pack. So the time for some new challenge will come ...

Hum, I see nothing more ...

Ho yes, I see something more, but it is a bad news my AfterMoon projects : the long awaited 1.10 patch for Diablo2 will probably be released very soon, and my addiction to the Hardcode mode will probably restart !

I'm sorry :oops:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:23 pm
Post Map review
I just downloaded the maps (Except the last one, the link is broken). I don't really like them. I must admit the geometry is well made but it's not properly used. The locations in the map are the so-well-known bunch of metal and rust of Stroggos, not too much originality here, and no meaning except to kill Gunners (I still fear these :( ) with your shotgun. The difficulty settings are very apropiate, at least for Hard+ skill3 mode (The one I played). The textures look sometimes dull and auto-aligned, which makes the map look boring. The gameplay is boring too, there's absolutely no transmissions/story/objectives (Just "keep alive"). The mapper shows skill in geometry, but the maps lack on lighting, so you have to use the blaster to bright the place up all the time. In my opinion, the huge has really got the skills, but they're just not too well shown on these maps.

Lighting - 5
Textures - 7
Gameplay - 6
Story - _
Geometry - 9
Difficulty Settings - 8

Of course, you'll have the time to criticise my maps when I release them 8)

Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:26 pm
Post Re: Map review
Crusard wrote:
In my opinion, the huge has really got the skills, but they're just not too well shown on these maps.

There is a big difference between zomboid, stench1 and stench3 and stench4 !
But the goal is to add most mappack in the future, and I plan to add the majority of old awarded map/pack like "Castles of Stroggos" and much more.
The final architecture will probably be similar to :

COOP or DIE startmap, with teleporters to other StartMap (I will create it)
:arrow: IDsofware classic missions startmap (the actual COOP or DIE startmap)
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map of unit1
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map of unit2 ...
:arrow: The Huge startmap (with info and maybe a sort of bio displayed on walls)
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map1 of the Stench serie
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map1 of other unit if he release some ...
:arrow: Another map author startmap (with info and maybe his bio painted on texture)
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map of the a a unit
----:arrow: teleporter for 1st map of another unit ...

A personnalised startmap for each mapper + the actual statistic (number of visit per maps) + the persistance of death body and the future visualisation of them in a reduced top view of the map ...
I hope all this feeback will enjoy mappers, encourage them to release new maps and maybe play their own maps with the COOP or DIE players ;)

feedback, feedback, feeback !

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:40 am
Wow, now there's a thought. You could have maps of the maps on the page, and you could draw cute lil' skulls on it to show where people/monsters die. you can find the chokespots/actionpoints of a map. It would be great for betatesting maps :)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:45 am
Ooh, and ghosts, that'd be nice... you could have 'spookynoise.wav' playing in areas where there are lots of deaths... maybe even 'crossovers' where weaponary fired in past lives is fired again (but does nothing) or from other games (and does do something) (optional of course, don't want to ruin stuff for the pro players)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:48 am
Oh, and the ability to talk between the webpage and the games ;)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:49 am
Ooh, another cool idea (I'm full of them today) is to be able to link up games, and try to kill monsters before someone else in the 'link' does. You kill an enemy, and they'll spawn a ghost, and glow white (still checking status)... then go blue/purple/red/yellow/green/cyan (6 colours max for shell effects, less white, right?) to indicate who killed the guy... or maybe a special .md2 hovers over each monster/their corpse which will take on the glow mentioned above.

It's be *so* *cool* :P

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:58 am
Pat AfterMoon wrote:
Like I have previously see, the acebot source code is really well writen and commented. I have also played a little with the Quake2Max code, and I must admit I like how psychospaz write his code, and at the same time QFusion has really disapointed me :(

Hm, I wonder why

Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:24 am
Gleeb wrote:
Ooh, another cool idea (I'm full of them today)

<FORUM MODERATOR>
Gleeb, please, the next time you have 4 idea at the same time, edit your message in place of posting 4 messages. But I'm happy to see your enjoyment ;)
</FORUM MODERATOR>

Gleeb wrote:
You could have maps of the maps on the page, and you could draw cute lil' skulls on it to show where people/monsters die.

Yes, it will be exactly that, with player name and date on a little popup.

Gleeb wrote:
you could have 'spookynoise.wav' playing in areas where there are lots of deaths...

Interesting idea, not so hard to implement

Gleeb wrote:
the ability to talk between the webpage and the games

Currently the webchat messages typed from the web are displayed inside quake. But there is no command for sending message from Quake to the web or to other quake server playing at the same time. I could add this command, but these type of message are only relayed every 30 sec, so it is not really adequate for chatting.

Gleeb wrote:
be able to link up games

It is planned for War Against The Cyborg, where if you destroy a generator in one map, it will shut down machinery in another (updated in realtime).

But please, don't request too much feature for COOP or DIE, else I will never start to work on War Against The Cyborg ;)

Vic wrote:
Hm, I wonder why

Vic, I continue this discussion by emailing you.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:46 am
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next