Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 6:20 am It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

[ 3 posts ] 
 idea 
Post idea
ok the world server is a peer to peer network where u give 1 peer the data and he serves it to the rest that are playing his game, right?

what if you developed the netcode to allow the the whole thing be peer to peer.. first you could make servers comunicate like on irc.. where u connect them together.. so that players on 1 server can see players on another server.. talk to them see their death messages.. althought mabye in a different window and would not apear on the hud where u see player health and armor.. then if you took that and made it so that all thought they were servers and just comunicated what was going on in there side of the game.. this way 1 game can have as many different maps as players are in them.. if 1 player joins a map the other player is in then that players game would tell the others hey im joining ur map..

this could be implemented in 2 different ways.. one way is to make it seam as there is just 1 world and on 1 game.. all servers comunicate to each other.. and if u join the base map then ull see players from all other games there.. like an mmorpg..

or u can have it like a game room system.. where you only comunicate to servers in your gameroom and only see players in ur gameroom..

of course there will need to be optimizations and stuff like if 2 players are on different maps then packets that tell where players are or where an entity will not be needed.. also there will need to be one temperary server now that think about it which will be chosen by the best average ping.. if a temp server leaves or goes to a new map then a new one is chosen and picks up where the other left off..

there should be 1 temp server for every map that a gameroom has open.. this makes it possible to leaves other players behind/ do different missions at the same time in the same game/ costum maps designed to break players apart for whole maps!!!!

i dont know if this is even possible in effort wise / speed wise / or at all but is sounds like a cool idea.. also in the first implemention the idea of quake2 and having potentially alot of players in the same map.. kinda cool..

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:11 am
He he, really interesting post x-trix-c, and you are feeling something that is near my projects. I currently don't have the time to write and develop a correct answer to your message.

But you point the right thing ;)

I will answer to you in a big post during this summer, it will probably be called something near :
"architecture for a peer to peer MMORPG based on the GPL Quake2 engine". And it will be the base of the WorldServer version 0.4

stay tuned :lol:

PS : I'm currently a little bored by coding, it's why I have reported my attention to content, like the use of the 3D tool Blender, but for Quake purposeof course !

Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:29 pm
haha ya blender is a great program ive looked at but it is buggy on my comp...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:57 am
 [ 3 posts ]