It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC

[Angron] Overflow due to Configstrings 

Post [Angron] Overflow due to Configstrings
I'm trying to play the Angron maps but I keep getting overflowed and kicked out due to no room for configstrings. I don't know what is causing this, but maybe removing dead bodies older than a few days will help?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:31 am
Champion in solo and duo

Post Re: Overflow due to Configstrings
No, it's because you never want to play in challenge with us, Grape. :]

Although, I do agree that the maps have been overflowed with the bodies lately. I don't mind them in some spots, where they warn me to be on guard for enemies, but seriously, when there are 10 bodies floating in air all around me and all I have is a rocket launcher, the dead are literally killing me.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm
Admin

This overflow problem is not new :
viewtopic.php?p=1236#p1236

I have deactivated dead corpses for the Angron campaign, but the overflow continue to occur on my machine. If I remember well, it doesn't occur with some engines (R1Q2 ? EGL ? ...).

Keep me informed if you have more precisions, but I'm afraid it's related to the number of entities used by the mapper.

EDIT: I have tested with EGL and got the problem, but later than with the classic engine and in a very "heavy" context (tons of monsters, tons of gibs and use of the machine gun).

EDIT2: I've got the problem with R1Q2, and without a really heavy context. I will try this campaign outside coopordie, but I'm afraid the problem already exist :(

Edit3: It doesn't seem to occur outside coopordie, while testing the campaign offline. I will have to look more in deep. I'm sorry, but it won't probably be solved this year ;)

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo

Pat AfterMoon wrote:
I'm sorry, but it won't probably be solved this year ;)

Considering today's date, it's not much of an inconvenience, really. :]

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Post Re: [Angron] Overflow due to Configstrings
It probably is related to the map because I still get the overflow after you disabled bodies.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 pm
Champion in solo and duo

Grape wrote:
It probably is related to the map because I still get the overflow after you disabled bodies.

Was it the first time you tried it? In other words, have you ever managed to successfully play the map without errors?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 pm

I've played the map maybe 10 times now and always overflowed around the same point in the story. I always overflow after I've completed the power facility map.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:08 pm
Admin

I've spent some time for testing. I can't get the bug outside coopordie, and I've tested in coop mode (multiplayer).

The configstrings is a sort of cache system managed from the engine side. The max limit is reached with coopordie, but I don't understand why, maybe it's because the coop HUD (pictures are cached...). I think the Angron campaign is already near the limit, and some coopordie features probably take some room. The R1Q2 engine give more informations about the crash, with my test, it always occurs when the game try to cache the grenade sound (gunner attack).

It's not a bug that will be easily fixed, so I won't spend more time on it until the end of the Doom3 Boss Contest (31 january).

Sorry for the convenience :(

Last bumped by Pat AfterMoon on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:09 pm.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile WWW