Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

[ 10 posts ] 
 Admining (and how to contribute) 
Post Admining (and how to contribute)
Hello Pat Iam Interested into being an admin can you hook me up!

Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:04 am
I also would like to apply for an admin job for this mod. I have been with quake2 since it came out, and quake 1 before that. I have been with so many mods from beginning to either end/its current state its insane. I know a ton about this and would love to help you out.

Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:02 am
Cool idea :)
How do you want exactly to contribute to the mod ?
I will be very busy by real life during the next weeks, so excuse me if I don't answer quickly.

It is eventually possible to create a web interface for admin with these possibilities :
- Watching WorldServer log (for helping players)
- Adding and modifying XMLRULES
Creating a map like the surprise map could be easy, even if you know nothing about mapping. Only take an editor like QERadiant and add monster. Saving the entity part of the file, and adding it in the <entity_add> section of the XMLRULES files, it isn't very hard.
If you want to try it, download this
file. Unzip the XML files in your coopordie directory and run COOP or DIE locally with these parameters +map q2dm3 +set xmlrules xmlrules_map_q2dm3.xml.
Look at the other files for syntax examples, and load the XML files in Internet Explorer for checking XML syntax errors.

It is also possible to write a troubleshooting page, or various help page.

Feel free to post here all your idea.

Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:00 am
Quote:
incubus wrote:
I have been with so many mods from beginning to either end/its current state its insane. I know a ton about this and would love to help you out.

I have no experience of online collaboration, and I have never be a part of a mod team. So don't hesitate to give me advice ;)

Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:06 am
Like Help Running The Forums and Stuff

Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:31 am
I was wondering if I could make a map and then submit it for your approval, coop maps could be made ;o

Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:09 am
Quote:
On 08-19-2002 8:09 my penis wrote:
I was wondering if I could make a map and then submit it for your approval, coop maps could be made ;o

It would be great. I think the WorldServer could be a real plus for mappers, because the worldserver log is a wonderful feedback for how players play in the maps.
If you want to start with a quick project, just create a second "surprise map" with q2dm2,4,5,6,7 or 8.
Monsters and items could be added directly in the XMLRULES file, old items positionned in the deathmatch map could be easily removed (see XMLRULES file of q2dm3). For adding triggers, you need a little trick because I have added mins and maxs fields in trigger entity.
If you want to start this project, tell it to me and I will add a fifth teleporter in start map !

This is open for everybody, if you know just a little about map editing and entity it is very easy, you really don't need to be an experienced mapper, but the result could be really fun, and you will have the possibility to modify it online when you want : just add monsters if you think it's too easy, or modify a message, ...

Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:18 pm
So I assume completely new maps are a nono? :/

Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:08 pm
Quote:
On 08-20-2002 3:08 my penis wrote:
So I assume completely new maps are a nono? :/

Don't understand that ! New maps are really welcome. My previous message was only a suggestion and an incitation, because adding monster in DM maps is easy and if volonteer want to fill all the DM maps it could be fun and quick.

Now, if you can create new map or submit some of your own map it's better again.
If you want to start a new map from scratch, I have a request :
Could you create a nice startmap, if you are interested, we can discuss here about some characteristics needed :
- More place for teleporters
- New texture filled with text for displaying help on walls.
For the design, I let you free, but it need to respect the global atmosphere of the mod.
A large hall inside a big space ship with windows that let you take a look in deep space ... hum it would be so cool ;)

Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:35 am
and with an animated texture with help and such on a moniter behind the teleporters.. omg that would own

[me=my penis]goes to work on it[/me]

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:41 pm
 [ 10 posts ]