Last visit was: Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 pm It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

[ 3 posts ] 
 Suggestion 
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Post Suggestion
Pat AfterMoon, I have a suggestion for you.
I can make the effort to create a map like these Crusard maps: Rush for the Head, Crash and Massacre. I can create a map out of The Edge (q2dm1). I have to ask, what program is used? I take it that only entities are modified. Do you have to use a map editing program like Qoole or that XML Rules thing?
Thanks in advance. I look forward to seeing another map added to COOP or DIE. :P

Sat May 10, 2008 8:52 am Profile
Admin

Post Re: Suggestion
Hi Teo,

I will complete my answer later because today I'm a little busy. Here is how I have proceeded for creating the punishment map :
  • I've used GtkRadiant, but it could work with other map editors.
  • I have decompiled the q2dm3 map (*.bsp to *.map).
  • I have opened q2dm3.map with GtkRadiant.
  • I have added some monsters, items and triggers.
  • To all these entities, I have added a field named "xmlrules" and I've set it to the value 1 (GtkRadiant allow custom fields).
  • The "xmlrules" field is only for my tool XmlRulesTool.exe that extract the entities, but you can also do it manually with a text editor, map file are in plain text.

I don't remember if the command line parameters for testing locally xmlrules files are currently functional (not used since 2003). So in theory you don't have to recompile the map, only add entities and create the xmlrules file.

The XmlRulesTool can be found here :
http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/?page=download

Sat May 10, 2008 9:26 am Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Post Re: Suggestion
This sounds convenient enough for me, because decompiling maps from BSP to MAP using Gladiator really messes up with the whole map. So you're saying that these entities can be in a different file, and they can be somehow imported to the existing map. That way people don't have to download the new map, for example, q2dm1_coopordie. However, I don't know how this XML Rule thing works.

Sat May 10, 2008 9:40 am Profile
 [ 3 posts ]