Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 pm It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

[ 6 posts ] 
 Regular player + Challenge player 
Champion in solo

Post Regular player + Challenge player
I just died for the third time in that level where there's two moving platforms and lasers underneath, BUT only because I was playing with someone else who hasn't gone through all the levels yet. That is, I was on Unit 8, but came back to help him get some levels (and he kinds sucks, so :P).

The thing is... he is on Regular mode, so he could just keep dying, but when *I* fell into those horrible, nasty red lasers (gods forgive ID for putting those there XD) and lost it all, it felt... well, sucky!

Ok now to the point, could there be a way to make two inventories and status, one for Regular and another for Challenge?
Example: I'm on Unit 8 on Challenge, and someone else wants to play, but he is on Regular, so my "Regular profile" is loaded (different items/unlocked maps) and I'd have no fear of losing. Then when that Regular player quits, my "Challenge profile" loads again with my previous items and progress.

I think this would make Challenge mode players a bit more sociable (Otherwise I'll never play with someone else in a while, lol), and would save lots of frustration :)

PS: And I just came up with an exploit... what if I open two Q2 clients, one of them uses a Regular account and the other a Challenge. I use the regular one to play and the Challenge just stays put on the start of each level. This way I can advance levels on my Challenge account and keep dying on my Regular account. Maybe this doesn't work, but if it does.... well we'll need this "two-inventory" idea implemented asap :P

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 am Profile WWW
Admin

Post Re: Regular player + Challenge player
Is it telepathy Crusard ? You are near the description of what I want to do in a near future.
Look :
  • 2 inventory/health/score sets per player, one for regular, another for challenge mode
  • No more mode choose from web profile. When you start the game in the pregame map or a pre-startmap, you will have 2 possibilities. If you take a "regular teleporter", you are a regular player and load the appropriate settings. If you take a "challenge mode teleporter", you are a challenge mode player and load the appropriate settings.
  • If a regular players join a game hosted by a challenge mode players, he will switch to the appropriate mode, and vice versa.
  • The 3 bonus maps (punishment, rush ...etc.) will stay out of that.

Crusard wrote:
And I just came up with an exploit... what if I open two Q2 clients...

There are tons of possible exploits, it's why before adding the star to a challenge mode player I check his worldserver log file.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:31 am Profile WWW
Champion in solo

Hoo, nice :)
Can't wait to see the new features!

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:50 pm Profile WWW

That sounds cool when do u think u can get it up???

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:51 pm Profile
Admin

@Thinkfast :
In this type of project, the answer for your question is generally "when it's done" ;)

More seriously, the teleporter feature will probably never be done. But since this discussion has started I have revised my idea about the selection of challenge/regular mode. Here is my actual plan :
  • You choose your default mode from your web profile, challenge/regular
  • The default mode apply only when you start to play alone
  • If somebody join your game, he switch to your mode
  • If you join an existing game, you automatically switch to the mode of the game host
  • Each player will have 1 inventory/health/score set for regular mode and a different set for every challenge mode game, based on the players list.

I give you an example :
  1. Player A play alone in challenge mode
  2. Player B join the player A party
  3. Player C join the player A party
  4. B and C left the game, player A continue to play alone

In this example, Player A has 3 inventory/health/score sets. One for playing alone, one for A-B and one for A-B-C. The map progression is saved with the sets.

With this method, challenge mode characters and regular mode characters are never in the same party. Challenge are clearly 1, 2, 3 or 4 players from the beginning to the end. A player who want to beat the game alone in challenge mode can join a regular mode party for the fun, and continue is challenge later.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 pm Profile WWW
Admin

Work in progress, player "betatest", web page tested locally:

Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:15 pm Profile WWW
 [ 6 posts ]