Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 am It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 My Quake 2 Mission-pack: Stroggos Retaliates 

Post Re: My Quake 2 Mission-pack: Stroggos Retaliates
Hi all, so my Quake 2 map is nearing the half-way point and I am really stuck. I just finished the giant staircase, and it looks so monotonous. So, I want to make some nice warm lava at the bottom, but low and behold, all I manage is a solid brush with no lighting or gameplay effects. If anyone knows a good tutorial, please show me it.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 pm Profile
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Lava:

On the Texture Properties of the Brush with the Lava texture on it, click "Lava" and "Warp". You can click "Trans66" and "Transculent" if you want, too. Then click "Apply All".

Hope I was helpful. :)

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:52 am Profile

Cool, I'll try it. Tell you how it goes down.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:30 am Profile

Hate to be a noob, but how would I acces these properties. I'm using GTK, so it may be different for me.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:41 am Profile
Admin

With GtkRadiant:
  • Select your Brush
  • Display surface inspector (menu "'View|Surface inspector" or key S)
It can also apply to a single face.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:06 am Profile WWW

WOW! Thanks guys, now I can hear that scream of lava pain 24/7 :lol: I'm not sick :roll:

The map should be ready in a week or so.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:15 am Profile

OK, got quite a few thinks sorted now thanks to Teo and Pat. The level's coming together. I'm trying to make it uber sized though. Maybe a Quake 2 unit size, or half that. I'm trying to make an outdoor area, but hit a roadblock. I can't get key doors and remote doors working. It's annoying, but I'll keep trying! Enough chat, time for screens!

Attachment:
Dead guard.JPG

Attachment:
Door.JPG

Attachment:
Health packs.JPG

Attachment:
Lava.JPG

Take care:
~Rod~

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:07 am Profile
Champion in solo and duo and trio

It was of no problem, Rodrigez. Actually, I've been looking forward to yours and Fido's map for quite a long time.

That's the point when I ask for assistance.

I know all basic rules and such, and I have no problems at entities, but I am really a noob at making complicated brushes and things in cylinder rooms (like yours, Rod). Do you have any advice on how you make them so good at a cylinder room? It is a real pain for me.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 pm Profile

I still have much to experiment with with Quake 2 entities. See, this is my first Quake 2 map, but I was quite the fan of th Q3 engine a while ago. However, the way Q3 does it's entities and such are very different than Quake 2 sometimes, so I'm a a bit lost. Especially with monster behavior and trigger events, both of which are out of my reach ATM. As for my map, I may release part one soon. Pretty much, I'm trying to finish Quake 4's storyline where we leave Kane with "new orders". Still debating about whether custom textures is a good idea or even possible. But the Lava emitting white light instead of red is really annoying, so I'm hesitant to go on until I find a solution.

Now to try my best to give you a hand:

Cylinder rooms are quite the bother to get entities and what I call "segments" (like my walkways and pillars supporting them) placed well. A good idea is to go through and cut away wasted brushes and clean up your room, as the hollow function leaves lots of z-framing and other wasted brushes. (I'm assuming you know how to make a cylinder room in the first place). Good design starts with knowing the arbitrary sides of your cylinder and designing your segments to match. For example: my cylinder has 12 arbitrary sides. so, plug in the numbers. 360 divided by 12 equals 30. This is the amount you must rotate your segments by. so, the first 4 parts would have rotation degree's of 0, 30, 60 and 90. Then, mirror this for the rest of the structure. It takes time to do the math and to get it done correctly, but if you are patient enough, it looks quite awesome. Also, I'm the noob here, but just in case you don't know, you can press "e" or "f" in GTK Radiant to edit the shape and face textures of brushes. Without these features, I think my Quake 2 would be in a bargain bin somewhere. Just ask if anything isn't clear to you.

For the "fans" out there, I got some WIP's to show ya.

Attachment:
lights.JPG

Attachment:
heat torture.JPG

Attachment:
off the edge.JPG

Attachment:
Tanker 49-er.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:08 pm Profile

OH MY GOD! Good news all! I can now make key doors! Thanks to some great tutorials!

Bad news: my map is getting a little too big. Takes forever to compile plus a few months. Is tehre a way to "link levels so you can run from one BSP to another without trouble?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:40 pm Profile
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next