Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 9:57 am It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 My Quake 2 Mission-pack: Stroggos Retaliates 
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Post Re: My Quake 2 Mission-pack: Stroggos Retaliates
I do not know how GTK Radiant works, but try to compile without QVis and QRad, only with QBSP. Only for the final compile when you test lights check both of them.

You should probably divide the map into two parts, add a door somewhere and an exit trigger and to the same for the next map, maybe that'll help.

Thanks for the info on the cylinder rooms, my problem was with rotating brushes, I am not good at rotating objects and with non-rectangular/non-square objects.

Your work makes me want to make a map right away. :)

P.S. Here are some good tutorials:
http://www.quake2.com/qworkshop/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:12 am Profile

I'll try that, thanks. The meaning of the compiles are totally lost to me.

I'll try that as well. Hopefully I can figure it out.

I hope my degree division helps some way, its basic, but it works for me.

Glad to hear it, Quake 2 can only get better ;)

And that is the exact site I used to get the door working, cool site,

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:38 am Profile

So, section one is complete. I am planning to make 3 sections for the beta and 10 for the final. I am dipping myself in Lava right now to hear the lovely sound effects :twisted:

.:EDIT:.

So, I got some screens of section two. I am REALLY proud of my "lava in a tube" segment which is really amazing for a noob like me. Pretty much its a aqueduct filled with lava which travels from one end of the room to the other at high speed. Step in it and you get burned. The pipe is even curved to be eye-pleasing.

Attachment:
lava.JPG

Another thing I managed to do, was to get dual sided doors working, so now I have more "warehouse-style" doors.

Attachment:
door.JPG

Hope you enjoyed them!

Attachment:
box.JPG

~Rod~

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 pm Profile

New pics added above...

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:06 am Profile

Very nice. Your map reminds me of the warehouse and jail units, maybe because of the texture use. It's very cool, I want to play it!

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:33 pm Profile

Thanks, I admit to trying to take ideas from Quake 2 Mission Pack 1. Although, I am building with only stock Quake 2 elements. I am working on a very big project now involving a "lava mover". Pretty much a hover-car filled with lava that you must ride on.
~Rod~
P.S. Pat, what do I need for my map to support Coop or die?

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 pm Profile
Admin

For your map being fully compatible with COOP or DIE, it only needs to be "coop" compliant.
  • Add 4 coop spawn "info_player_coop" to every "info_player_start".
  • Avoid One-way passage
  • Be aware that when a player trigger something, other players could be everywhere.
  • Look at this list, particularly the "Fail" maps, and why they fail.

In a second phase it could be interesting to use xmlrules for adding some monsters or items, according to the number of players. A little touch of random could also add some fun. But we will discuss that after.

You are the first mapper to create something with coopordie in mind, so be sure I will help you. Another good news is that I am not so far to the next phase of my todo list, and the remake of the website is largely related to documentation, and it will have a "mapping for coopordie" section.

The best for you is to create a standard coop mission, for all Quake2 players, and after, we will enhance the experience with coop or die ;)

I'm impatient to test your map.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm Profile WWW

1: you can have multiple player starts?!? But yes, I have done this.

2: One-way passage? Like small corridors?

3: Well, I don't even know how to add triggers, but I did make a rather nice train on an automated rout today :)

4: I have thought maybe my intended ending will be a problem in coop or die. Pretty much you must get to your marines ship in 30 seconds or it leaves you with a few angry tanks.

As for XML rules, my experience with it is coop or die is the only thing I have disliked. It makes it much more difficult and random, but maybe too difficult and random. But, we'll see how the feedback on the beta is, too hard/easy, just right maybe even.

I may be the first, but ever since I got Quake 2, 3 years ago, I've always wanted to play with a team. However, I could never find co-op servers.

Glad to hear someone wants to try this junk :)

~Rod~

P.S. Before I go, some new pics. I also got my amazing hover-car thing working, but it's not amazing till you see it in action ;)

Attachment:
diefreak.JPG

Attachment:
fakedoor.JPG

Attachment:
owy.JPG

Attachment:
warehouseking.JPG

Attachment:
tube.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Rodrigez on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm Profile

ALERT! I have one of the three beta levels done and since so many people say they can't wait to play, I decided to actually take them up on it ;)

http://files.filefront.com/qmpbbsp/;10917667;/fileinfo.html

Consider it a low-end alpha. Now since my PC is (not bragging) pretty damn good, I'm relying on you guys with low-end machines (you know who you are ;) ) to tell me how awful I am at getting maps working smoothly. For me, steady 500 - 200 FPS. There are about 22 monsters, no trigger zones and a few new techniques for me, like the "lava train", "lava tube", "current pipe", gibbing machines and more.

About this map: your mission, find the red key and get to the exit and back to the main level (will be where you start). This is the second level, but it is the one I am most comfortable releasing right now. The full game should be done is around 2 months. Beta in maybe 2 weeks. Please ignore the ugly wall behind you when you start, as it is there to keep out the void and will be a hallway in the beta.

I want to know about this map please:

What sucks
Whats good
Whats problematic
How to fix the problem
If it lags
If it pwns
How I connect .bsp's like in the retail game

No co-op support at this time as it is really short anyhow. If you can't kill 20 guys well... :lol:

Have fun, oh and some pics too:

Attachment:
beatifulwater.JPG

Attachment:
lava train.JPG

Attachment:
porch.JPG

Attachment:
porchoutlook.JPG

Attachment:
roof.JPG

Please enjoy and look past the crappiness or my level, have fun :)

~Rod~

Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:59 am Profile
Champion in solo and duo and trio

It's actually very good! Some really nice ideas, great architecture and complicated brushes! I can never make a level like this one.

I may write more later, for I have to go now.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am Profile
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next