Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 5:43 pm It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC

[ 10 posts ] 
 New mission: help wanted from the community 
Admin

Post New mission: help wanted from the community
I plan to add as soon as possible a new mission to coop or die.

With feedback from some coopordie players, I have chosen the "Premonition of Angron" map pack.

This is an interesting and very challenging mission.

For this mission being correctly compliant for coop play, it's needed to add coop spawn points. I could add them dynamically from the worldserver, without the need to edit the original. But I need the correct positions and tags.

Here is the description of the job:
  • Download the map (see above)
  • Decompile the bsp files (convert it to *.map files)
  • Open the maps in a map editor
  • Search the spawn entities, and for each, add 4 coop spawn entities (maybe 3 is enough). A distance of 70 units between each spawn point is a decent value. Looking at map file with a text editor and searching for "info_player_start" can help to find them all.
  • Use the XmlRulesTool for extracting these entities or send me the entire *.map file.
  • Enjoy your contribution to coopordie

A "contributor" icon in the spirit of the champion one is in preparation ;)

If you want to try it, feel free to post here any question and inform us about your progression. If you want to add some easter eggs like the dead body near the elevator added by JudicatorOmega in "Outer base", it could be OK, but stay coherent and respect the spirit of the map.

Example

For:
Code:
{
"origin" "-1888 1132 32"
"classname" "info_player_start"
}

It's needed to add 4 entities:
Code:
{
"origin" "-1788 1132 32"
"classname" "info_player_coop"
}
{
"origin" "-1688 1132 32"
}
{
"origin" "-1888 1232 32"
}
{
"origin" "-1788 1232 32"
}

In case of tagged or oriented entities, all must remain
For:
Code:
{
"origin" "-1224 -16 -128"
"targetname" "from_b"
"angle" "90"
"classname" "info_player_start"
}

It's:
Code:
{
"origin" "-1324 -16 -128"
"targetname" "from_b"
"angle" "90"
}

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:34 pm Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Post Re: New mission: help wanted from the community
That would be a very hard task to do.
I go as far as converting them. I use the Gladiator program to convert maps from BSP to MAP (it does that with A LOT of errors, so I don't think it's going to work anyway), but Qoole 2.50 does not open them. It reports a SIGSEV error and I am forced to use QuArK, but I do not know how to use it yet. Even if I knew, I had to make coop spawn points that come from a lot of different routes, because this is a unit and you can return to previous levels - more spawn points. And after that comes XML Rules, which I do not know how to use.
Seems like I cannot be of much help, because Qoole does not work on these maps. Is there any other purpose to convert BSP maps to MAP (without that program GLADIATOR, which messes up with the map entirely)?
If individuals from the same species help each other, we may find a way to make it working.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:09 pm Profile
Admin

I'm sorry Teo, your message show me I must explain better. It has taken me less than 10 minute to do that:

• Search WinBSPC, the Gladiator tool with Google, download and install it
  • Decompile the Angron2a.bsp into Angron2a_tmp.map
  • Load the map file with GtkRadiant 1.5
  • Find the first info_player_start
  • Add 4 info_player_coop
  • Save the map
  • Open the map in a text editor
  • Copy the 4 entities definition and paste the code here

In fact, including the time to type this message, I've reached 15 minutes ;)
So, Angron2a is for me, I will add the others info_player_coop myself. Anyone motivated to do Angon2b?

The warning displayed at map load could be ignored, because you don't need to recompile it. It's just needed to show the layout and place the entities on the good place (not a wall). If possible place them at the same height than the original.

Code:
// entity 614
{
"origin" "-1818 1202 32"
}
// entity 615
{
"origin" "-1832 1062 32"
}
// entity 616
{
"origin" "-1888 1202 32"
}
// entity 617
{
"origin" "-1888 1062 32"
}

The XmlRules part can be mine, but in fact it is really trivial, in the previous case, it's that:
Code:
<xml>
<entity_add>
<entity> { "classname" "info_player_coop" "origin" "-1818 1202 32" } </entity>
<entity> { "classname" "info_player_coop" "origin" "-1832 1062 32" } </entity>
<entity> { "classname" "info_player_coop" "origin" "-1888 1202 32" } </entity>
<entity> { "classname" "info_player_coop" "origin" "-1888 1062 32" } </entity>
</entity_add>
</xml>

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:01 pm Profile WWW

I am currently workin on this map to make it work for coopordie! :D so, yes i should be done by today or w/e. am new to the whole map editing or creating but i got all day and all night! WoOt

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:28 pm Profile
Admin

@Skullerx: any progression from your side ?

I've just finished to add coop start points for Angron2A, Angron2C and Angron2D. If you haven't already done Angron2B, I will do it myself.
(don't worry, you will have other opportunities to contribute ;) )

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:22 pm Profile WWW
Admin

It's done, I have added coop spawn to all the maps. A new teleporter could be added soon.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 pm Profile WWW

argh, it was confusing... I was getting to it WHEN, My laptop had a biggy problem so i had to send it to be fixed and the harddrive was wiped :/. It was done too. coop spawns were added but the map was deleted. Srry i couldint help. I try once and if anything bad happens i give up. So, Well good job finishing everything. I hope i will see you around.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:50 am Profile
Admin

It's OK Skullerx, I will add a new teleporter soon. I have encounter some problems in places where there is not enough room for 4 players. I will add some warning messages displayed near these exit like "Be carrreful, if you are a team of 3 or more, after this gate you should be exposed to Stoggos fire hurrier than expected" ;)

My only problem is that before the new DLL release I can't really handle teams who finish the mission. It's not like the classic campaign, after beating "Angron" you have to do several things before finishing.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 am Profile WWW

I don't know if you will find the following useful, but you may find it interesting:

I have experience with having to add coop spawn points to maps. When working on RQuake Team Cooperative (a Quake (1) coop mod without the seriousness and strategy of COOP or DIE, more about having fun playing coop with other people), we needed to add them to several maps (so that each map had 5), and also to remove them from maps that had them too close together (since players can respawn, we make sure to use a spawn point that is far enough away to not touch anyone) or are unsuitable for other reasons (like ikspq5 where the player starts in a lift). The original method that was used didn't enable the angle to be set, so that was changed (although several of the maps still have coop spawns with an angle of 0, as I never got around to changing them).

As for how I actually added them, my method involved some custom QuakeC. I created a progs.dat (equivalent of gamex86.dll) that enabled me to press keys to display my current location, the location of where I'm looking (and information about any entity that I'm pointing at), and to print the current location of all start and coop points. It also allowed me to see them as I run around the map. I used this to write down where I wanted them to be (I rounded mine to the nearest 8 units and 15 degrees, so it looked neater), and then add them to the function.

I'm fairly sure that a similar thing could be done for Quake2, and then it would be much easier to add entities to any new map.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm Profile
Admin

Thanks for your message Pineapple. I'm currently thinking about how to make coopordie more friendly in term of user created content, and the method you describe is very interesting.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:53 am Profile WWW
 [ 10 posts ]