Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

[ 5 posts ] 
 Coop or Die reviewed at Play This Thing 
Champion in solo and duo

Post Coop or Die reviewed at Play This Thing
Here http://playthisthing.com/coop-or-die
by yours truly. Hope ya'll like it.

Should bring some new players hopefully.

http://www.playthisthing.com is a great site and it humbles me that my crude typings get on the front page now and again. It feature a new review every day of indie gaming goodness.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:26 am Profile
Admin

Post Re: Coop or Die reviewed at Play This Thing
He he, nice review Hendar23 ;)

I like this portion of the text:
Hendar23 wrote:
As someone who worshiped at the altar of Quake in the nineties, doing Quake 2 without dying was something I knew I had to do before I could look myself in the mirror and call myself a gamer.
:mrgreen:

For the Quake2 Steam version, I need to try and write a message in the "guide" section. Since I have myself the "ID super pack", I've just taken a quick look and it seem that the Quake2 version provided is the 3.19 one. Theoretically, upgrading to 3.20 like described in the guide should do the trick. But as far as I understand, you will loose the "Steam embedded" aspect.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 am Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo

I think if you do that, Steam will think something is wrong with it and copy over the changed files. I haven't tried it my self, but when a friend then copied the Quake 2 files to another location, and used Quake2Max as the executable after patching, it still crashed when he tried to join the world server. :(

This is one of the few gripes I have with Steam. I really want to try DungeonDoom, but it is incompatible with the Steam version of DooM 3. :(

Oh, and I'm glad you liked my review, thanks!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:40 pm Profile

Very nice review, got me into installing Quake 2 again. ;)

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 am Profile
Admin

Hendar23 wrote:
I think if you do that, Steam will think something is wrong

You are probably right, just for testing the expansion pack, I have copied the rogue and xatrix directories from Steam on my existing Quake2 folder.

I have patched the dll and launched Quake2xp with rogue (Ground zero) and it works well. In fact we only need the content of expansion pack, the code is already under the GPL.

Copying the content and using it outside Steam is probably not allowed by the Steam EULA. But don't expect me to play the expansion pack in 2008 without an enhanced engine ;)

PS: the same method for playing coopordie with the Quake2 Steam version should works.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:12 pm Profile WWW
 [ 5 posts ]