Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 pm It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can your PC run Doom3 ? 

Can your PC run Doom3 ?
Yes 88%  88%  [ 14 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16
Admin

Post Can your PC run Doom3 ?
Since the begin of August, I have reinstalled Doom3 on my PC.

I am currently looking at the modding SDK. My goal is to evaluate the pros and cons of using Doom3 in place of Tremulous, as a base for coopordie2.

With this pool I just want to know how many existing coopordie players will be able to run a modification based on Doom3.

Note: You are able to change your vote, in case of new computer ;)

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:35 am Profile WWW
Champion in duo

Post Re: Can your PC run Doom3 ?
There's already opencoop and LMS for DOOM III, but if you could possibly do Quake 4, that would make you the most awesome wicked increadibljasdlghkljeagaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

*dies*.

Vote yes, people. For great justice.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:34 pm Profile
Admin

Please, don't misunderstood the question, I just want to know the average power of actual coopordie player's PC (until big brother report your config to the worldserver :twisted:).

Coopordie2 will be done, and it will be very different from "coopordie for Quake2". Don't expect any existing campaign with co-op features like I've done for Quake2. Coopordie2 will have specific maps and objectives and it's own gameplay.

Like mentioned by sensei, Doom3 has already OpenCoop and Last Man Standing that both offer a co-op mode for the official campaign (including RoE).

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 pm Profile WWW
Champion in solo and duo

Pat, Quake 4 is ripe for co-op. It's the natural progression from Q2, as the Co-op or Die community is composed of Quake fans. The Q4 community has been slowly dying off since the demise of the WSVG; co-op is just the thing to bring it right back. The Open Co-op team already began work on it and would probably lend you their support. I would donate a considerable amount to make this happen and I'm sure many others would as well. The campaign of Q4 isn't important, but the base gameplay and technology are. The engine, weapon selection, movement, monsters, and tactics of Q4 are more advanced and diverse than those of D3.

To prevent misunderstandings, maybe you could share your plans for Co-op or Die 2. Will you be essentially creating your own game? All new textures, props, weapons, and monsters? If so, that's a tremendous undertaking, and I wish you all the best.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:33 pm Profile
Champion in duo

Pat AfterMoon wrote:
Please, don't misunderstood the question, I just want to know the average power of actual coopordie player's PC (until big brother report your config to the worldserver :twisted:).

Ah, then I shall provide more detailed specs:

Windows XP SP3
2.41 Ghz Quad (it's the popular Q6600)
1 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3800

fsad wrote:
I would donate a considerable amount to make this (Q4) happen and I'm sure many others would as well.

I am one of the Many.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 pm Profile
Admin

fsad wrote:
Pat, Quake 4 is ripe for co-op. It's the natural progression from Q2

I would be happy to see an Open Co-op for Quake4, but I don't have the time for that.

fsad wrote:
To prevent misunderstandings, maybe you could share your plans for Co-op or Die 2. Will you be essentially creating your own game? All new textures, props, weapons, and monsters?

I plan to create my own game, but not models, textures, sounds ...etc.
It is the big pros of Tremulous : a complete standalone game under free license (GPL engine + creative commons BY-SA content).
The main pros of Doom3 is that it is more suitable from the single player / co-op point of view. A coopordie2 based on Doom3 will probably stay a Doom3 modification and won't be able to reach the "standalone" status.

Regarding more detailed plans about coopordie2, I will start a new discussion someday, just for the laugh when I will look at it in a year or two :lol:

And just as a note, from the developer's point of view, I'm not really a fan of the Stroggos, and absolutely not of the Doom3 hell/demons theme. A classic sci-fi theme with humans, aliens and mines is more suitable for my project.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm Profile WWW

of course, I can run every game on the market. With some trouble, artifacts and freezing on older games like Q2 and such :(

P.S. PLEASE MAKE IT FOR QUAKE 4!!! I will even make a new Reborn mod for Quake 4 to go with it.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:02 pm Profile
Admin

Regarding the statistics, near 60% of coopordie players use the classic Quake2 3.20 client in place of recent enhanced engines that need more GPU power.
It's why I think many of them can't run Doom3, but maybe I'm wrong, and they just use the classic engine because it's the default one.

Regarding the Quake4 thing, I hear you, but it is absolutely not my current subject of investigation.
My subject is IdTech4, the engine of Doom3, Quake4, Prey and ETQW.

One of the big pros I have already identified is the map format. Contrary to the Quake1/Quake2/Quake3 map format, there is no time consuming pre-compilation that generate a binary file. The engine use directly the text based *.map file format.

Now imagine what the WorldServer already does to Quake2 entities, extended to the entire map geometry/textures/scripts/shaders :)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:05 pm Profile WWW

So you're hinting at bullet-holes/battle-scars that stay around for every game?!?! Shame about the Quake 4 thing, it woulda owned. Also, if anyone's PC has trouble with Q2 or 3, you need a new one ASAP, even if you aren't a gamer.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 pm Profile

This sounds like a huge project. You are gonna need a team of coders, programers, mapers, etc.

If you want, i'll do the best i can to find some people from the modding community to suit your needs.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:55 pm Profile
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next