Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 am It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC

[ 8 posts ] 
 Wow. 
Post Wow.
Does anybody know of a bsp editor (not .map editor) so it can be easier to make xml rules?
I´ve been using QuArK so far and it´s really crappy for viewing compiled BSPs.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:16 pm
I don't understand your question. I personnaly use Qeradiant and don't really like Quark. But for extracting the entities, you can use the *.map or the *.bsp, because entities are not compiled, only added as text at the end of the map file.
The *.map file is easier to use because it is entirely in text, the bsp file is binary + entities text at the end.

For the triggers there is a trick, the map editor create an hidden poly for defining the 6 coordinates of the trigger (x,y,z mins and max). For convert it in XmlRules, you need to select yourself the mins and maxs ... :(

I know it's not really easy, when I will have time, I'll make a tool for that ...

Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:42 pm
Post hmm
I see what you say. I´ll get that mins and maxs to use for triggers. As for editing, I´ll stick to what I have as I don´t use or like Qeradiant :?

Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:57 pm
Thank God I'm only making the .xml files for my own maps which are still in .map stage so I'm easilly able to check the places of the enemies when I insert them and then remove 'em when they are set in the .xml file.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:29 am
As far as I know Quark is the only editor that loads bsp files.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:28 pm
But for extracting the entities, you can use the *.map or the *.bsp, because entities are not compiled, only added as text at the end of the map file.
The *.map file is easier to use because it is entirely in text, the bsp file is binary + entities text at the end.

I just checked a couple of .bsp files with Wordpad and I found something interesting.

I've added a floater to one of my own maps and I checked the .bsp even when I do have the .map, too but here:

{
"spawnflags" "5"
"angle" "90"
"origin" "2040 -128 192"
"classname" "monster_floater"
}

That is a straight copy-paste from the .bsp. So, check those .bsp's with Wordpad or something like that. To me it looks usable for the .xml.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:18 pm
As far as I know Quark is the only editor that loads bsp files.

Personnaly I have used a tool (winbspc v1.4) and converted all the standard *.bsp to *.map

Znake wrote:
I've added a floater to one of my own maps and I checked the .bsp even when I do have the .map, too but here:

{
"spawnflags" "5"
"angle" "90"
"origin" "2040 -128 192"
"classname" "monster_floater"
}

That is a straight copy-paste from the .bsp. So, check those .bsp's with Wordpad or something like that. To me it looks usable for the .xml.

Yes, it's exactly like I do myself. Now you only have to add the tags and you have your XmlRules file ;)
Code:
<xml>
<entity_add>
<entity>{ "spawnflags" "5" "angle" "90" "origin" "2040 -128 192" "classname" "monster_floater" }</entity>
</entity_add>
</xml>

Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:58 pm
Up to now, I´ve been copying and pasting the entity list in the QuArK item tree. QuArK rocks for me alright.
Another thing is to take an emptied map, and fill it with entities. You need to use the editor to set the coords. :D

Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:25 pm
 [ 8 posts ]