Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Source port question 

Post Source port question
What source port which is compatible with coop or die can enable a mapper to add directional sunlight to a map, aswell as a phenominally increased draw distance?

I'm working on a coop map (with missions) for which will be exclusive to Coopordie, and these two features are essential for me to properly accomplish the plan I have in mind.

It's spread out accross a landscape, so these two features are imperative for it to look at all 'right'.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the sourceport needs to also be able to support a larger voidspace than a microscopic 4096x4096x4096.

Sat May 15, 2010 5:32 am Profile
Admin

Post Re: Source port question
Hi CombatEnforcer,

Coopordie is compatible with the vanilla Quake2 3.20, so it runs with every enhanced engines that don't break the compatibility. EGL, Quake2Max, R1Q2 and Quake2XP (with a specific parameter) are compatible.

Some engines extend Quake2 and break the compatibility like KMQuake2 or QFusion. Theoretically Coopordie is not compatible with these engines unless they have a compatibility mode like Quake2XP.

If you have a doubt about an engine, post a link, I will check it when I will have time.

Sat May 15, 2010 7:14 am Profile WWW

I have Quake2XP, but as I said in the other thread, for some reason it doesn't run; and when my map is placed in the baseq2 folder, it says that it's not a valid pak file.

So do those engines you mentioned increase the mapspace and drawdistance? EGL seems to have the same amount of available space, so unfortunately I can't use that. :/

Sat May 15, 2010 6:28 pm Profile
Admin

Quake2XP could work with coopordie if you activate the compatibility mode (+set net_compatibility 1) but in this case you disable a part of its enhancement and you only have standard map size.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:54 pm Profile WWW

Damn.

So would an enhanced map size be possible in any way with coopordie? Maybe in some kind of sibling version of the mod if you were to ever make one?

Also, I just figured out you can implament Sunlight lighting using 'arghrad'; from multiple sources, infact; which would be realistic for ambient daylight lighting (since that would come from the sky).

Sat May 15, 2010 8:04 pm Profile
Champion in quartet

I doubt Pat touches Coop or Die ever again unless there is some sort of huge bug or, god knows why, he decides to get over it again. At least that's what he said.

But, why do You need a bigger map size? You can't just go and make multiple maps? However, maps aren't that small.

If I'm not wrong, map size is linked with the engine. If you have a bigger map size than default, not all engines are going to handle it so not everyone would be able to play it. That's why I'm wondering why you want a bigger map size when you can just create multiple maps? If your map really needs something bigger, then you would be probably with bad luck if you want it to be played by everyone..

By the way: No, I'm not going against your idea and I do think map size should be bigger.

xRDVx wrote: "Humans can dream... and so do I."
mik1 wrote: "i like boys"

Sat May 15, 2010 10:28 pm Profile

xRDVx wrote:
I doubt Pat touches Coop or Die ever again unless there is some sort of huge bug or, god knows why, he decides to get over it again. At least that's what he said.

But, why do You need a bigger map size? You can't just go and make multiple maps? However, maps aren't that small.

If I'm not wrong, map size is linked with the engine. If you have a bigger map size than default, not all engines are going to handle it so not everyone would be able to play it. That's why I'm wondering why you want a bigger map size when you can just create multiple maps? If your map really needs something bigger, then you would be probably with bad luck if you want it to be played by everyone..

By the way: No, I'm not going against your idea and I do think map size should be bigger.

Because it's outside, that's what I meant when I said a phenominally increased drawdistance would be essential.

But also, it will include several maps which are connected to each other aswell.

But on that note of size, would anybody know what the fastest Qvis compiler would be? Right now I have only made the start and some other areas, and it takes an hour to reach 40%.

Quote:

I know, a person would have to use that engine(s) in order to play the map unfortunately.

Well, it doesn't take any time to download a new engine, if somebody wants to play my map I will make sure to feature the necessary compatible engine(s) along with the download somewhere. I know a person might not be able to necessarily use the engine of their choice, but atleast downloading it won't be a problem. He or she could just change it back whenever they don't need it.

Sun May 16, 2010 1:30 am Profile
Champion in solo and duo and trio and quartet

CombatEnforcer wrote:
But on that note of size, would anybody know what the fastest Qvis compiler would be? Right now I have only made the start and some other areas, and it takes an hour to reach 40%.

maybe fastvis?

also, if the map would be really big, the lag will be very much too

Join Coopordie's Discord Server.

Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 am Profile YIM

Yeah, I didn't mention that I did -fast in vis and it compiles instantly while I need to test it.

I doubt a big map would cause lag on a game like quake 2 with todays computers, or do you mean low framerate if using a sourceport?

Also, would there be any way to get a sourceport like berserker to work? The author of Berserker claimed it's perfectly capable getting mods to work on it. Surely if net_compatibility is enabled, the worldserver should be able to pick up any activity which goes on. But when I set net_compatibility with berserker, every time i try to login it just displays it as a textmessage.

Here's what the map looks like so far, I was filming it in order to show a friend -
http://www.livestream.com/enforcersdeve ... l?t=188658

Click on the latest video to have a look, I still need to improve the lighting in some places which don't appear to be very explicit though.

So far it features the landing pad and some other areas which are connected to it. Surrounding that central tower, on the ground below, I will include a Strogg installation with a veriety of different buildings, aswell as a natural canal which carries away disposed chemicals and a landscape beyond that which connects to other maps.

This is my first map for quake 2, or with radiant for that matter.

Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 am Profile
Champion in quartet

People don't want to download engines just to play a map, or at least that's what I would do.

And, if it is outside, I'm pretty much sure you can simulate the 'farness' with sky boxes. Unless you're trying to do the tallest walls in the world, in which I would tell you: You're probably better off without 'em.

I mean, there are pretty BIG maps in quake 2 campaigns... stock ones.

But, if you want to keep going. Go ahead. I'm no one to stop you.

xRDVx wrote: "Humans can dream... and so do I."
mik1 wrote: "i like boys"

Mon May 17, 2010 9:12 am Profile
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next