Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Router Problems Go Away (Hamachi / Wippien) 
Champion in solo and duo and trio

Post Router Problems Go Away (Hamachi / Wippien)
For all those of you using routers, who want to connect to each other, there's a solution for you. Hamachi.

http://www.hamachi.cc

Join my series of network servers. You need to be all online in the same network Hamachi server. Hamachi helps you connect not only in Quake 2, but every single game.

Network Name: quake2teo
Network Password: quake2

For all those who have hosted a network meant for playing Quake 2 primary, please tell us your network name and password. Also, if you're having problems using Hamachi, post in this thread. I have created a second Hamachi network, in case quake2teo fills up, which is about to fill up.

Network Name: quake2teo2
Network Password: quake2

Each one can be part in and host unlimited amount of networks. Just make sure in order to connect all participants must be in the same network and have hamachi running. Hamachi creates the IP for you, which is permanent and you can use it to connect.

Even some older games which do not have public servers (I mean really old games) connection to a person's server is impossible without Hamachi. Best program ever made.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:25 am Profile
Admin

Post Re: Router Problems Go Away
It's a good initiative Teo, but I think Hamachi is too limited. The 16 users limit is annoying, and it's not 16 users at the same time, it's 16 users at all for a given network.

Even if I buy myself a premium version, players with free version are limited to 16 on the same network. I don't think much players will pay $4.95 per month for that :money:

I'm currently take a look at Wippien. It's a similar tool, but free and not limited. It need to be tested.

EDIT: I have installed wippien, it provide VPN and chat, but you need a Jabber account (it's a free alternative to MSN). My Jabber account is pat.aftermoon [at] jabber.org. If you try it, add me to your friend list.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:28 pm Profile WWW

Post Re: Router Problems Go Away (Hamachi / Wippien)
I was able to install Wippien with Jabber, but I'm not sure it'll work. It says that the Hamachi adapter interferes with its adapter. So technically I may have to use only one of them, but I still haven't tried connection to a server with Wippien.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:23 am Profile
Admin

Teo wrote:
I may have to use only one of them
Yes I think too.

The other thing is that Wippien seem to have a different approach, in place of a login/password for a virtual network, it seem to use the jabber friend-list. I'm not sure if it will be easier or hardier for others to join.

But an interesting aspect of Wippien is it's open-source licence and the Jabber protocol. Even with PHP it's possible to interact, so there is a possibility to link the worldserver to it. I have in mind something similar to the webchat window, but in a jabber channel called coopordie...

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:13 am Profile WWW

We certainly need to meet up in Hamachi or Wippien some time, we sure have a lot of testing to do. I'm online in both of them at the moment.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:01 am Profile
Admin

Today I have tested Wippien with Teo.

Servers don't appear in the multiplayer join menu. I'm not sure but I think most Quake2 engine only scan the first available LAN adapter, and in our case, Wippien add a second one, so it could be the reason. Lastly, it was possible to play together by typing "/connect X.X.X.X" on the console, where "X.X.X.X" is the IP address allowed by Wippien to the server.

We have made a comparison with a classic UDP connexion (with a configured router). It seem that Wippien add approximatively 20 ms to the ping (145ms in place of 125ms in our case). It is not so bad for an additional layer of virtual local network.

I will try to understand why servers are not displayed in "join" menu.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:49 pm Profile WWW

great thread guys, thanks for this.

very helpful :)

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:11 pm Profile

I HAVE HAMACHI TOO IS VERY GOOD PROGRAM THE BEST VPN

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:22 am Profile
Champion in quartet

Just for information of possibility of being truth (i don't saying nothing important and i HAVE NOT tested) is, in teory, if someone that is in both networks, and noone more is in the both networks, creates the game, those 30 persons/users can see who created... For better explain i'll make an example.

Me --- Conected to network A and B
15 users --- Conected to Network A
15 users --- Conected to Network B

I create a server (deathmach (non-coopordie)).

Network A see me (i'm in that Network).
Network B see me (i'm in that Network too).

So, A and B are able to conect to me, but Noone else can create the game (here is where the dedicated enter) from one of those networks.

Simply:

Me -- Disconnected.
User 1 -- COnected to A --- Create a server.
14 users -- Conected to A --- See the server.
15 users -- Conected to B --- Don't see the server.

So, now its when I say: If there are two networks and you are who is going to create the server, connect to both networks. If not, just connect to any of those two networks.

I repeat, this is on teory. NOT tested yet, but I founded this in my head, losed in the Archive.

Is just like having two real networks controled by ONE server :P

xRDVx wrote: "Humans can dream... and so do I."
mik1 wrote: "i like boys"

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:58 pm Profile

both servers are full and i was wondering if you can make a new one :?:

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 am Profile
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next